My TWA Routine #tbt
I clearly remember the shock I experienced on realizing how differently my big chop had turned out. I had dry, coarse hair that I just couldn’t recognise! What happened to the soft, manageable hair from 10 years before – right before I got a relaxer?
I later learned it was a T.W.A- Teeny Weeny Afro; and it needed to be cared for in order to thrive. A couple days ago, I came across a great forum on Curly Nikki where women had shared their TWA Routine. Here’s my TWA routine from nearly two yeas ago:
- Moisturizing (LOC/LCO with ORS oil moisturizing lotion)
- Night time twists, coils or braids (3’s) and cover with a satin cap
Weekly /every once in a while
- Prepoo or Hot oil treatment or Baggy Method to soften and give shine
- Shampoo / Clarifying to cleanse and reduce product build up
- Deep Conditioning to soften and moisturize dry brittle hair
- Wash n Go (curly) – Dincy’s version
- Afro (picked out after moisturizing thoroughly)
- My twistouts at this point were disasters
My TWA Staple Products** These are the products that worked for my TWA; they may or may not work on your natural hair. I’ve grouped them up according to their function so you can adjust your products to suit your needs.
Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing conditioner (paraben free)
Hair Spritz: Aloe Vera Gel/Juice and Water Spritz
Leave-in Conditioner: Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturiser
Moisturizer: DIY Whipped Shea butter mix
Sealants: 100% olive oil or 100% castor oil or 100% jojoba oil or 100% coconut oil
Stylers: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel or Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel or DIY Flax Seed Gel
Shampoo: Curls Unleashed Shampoo by Organic Root Stimulator (Sulfate free)
Deep conditioner: DIY (olive oil, honey, and any moisturizing conditioner)
Edge tamer: Organic Root Stimulator Edge Control or any gel
**I am happy to answer any TWA questions in the comments or on our Facebook group.